Personal Injury Lawyers in Omaha
Legal Advocates for Accident Victims Throughout Nebraska
A serious injury-causing accident on the road, on someone's property, or elsewhere is a devastating setback that a family can face. At a time when you need to focus on personal and emotional recovery, turn to Burnett Wilson Law for clear legal advice and determined representation.
Having practiced for more than 50 combined years, our lawyers are tireless advocates focused on maximizing financial recoveries for the injured and their families.
We provide skilled representation backed by decades of experience.
Call our office in Omaha, NE at (402) 810-8611 to get started on your case today!
Decades of Collective Experience in Recovering Injury Compensation
The personal injury law firm at Burnett Wilson Law brings together many decades of experience in settlement negotiations and at trial, in-depth knowledge of insurance coverage and genuine compassion for the challenges faced by injured people and grieving family members. We build compelling cases and rigorously pursue all available financial compensation for victims of all types of accidents caused by others' negligence.
Omaha Personal Injury Lawyers with Experience Handling Various Cases, Such As:
- Many people in Nebraska love water recreational activities, unfortunately, no matter how careful you are, there is always a chance for injury. Learn about Nebraska boat injury law and how our team of attorneys can help you during a free consultation.
- In Nebraska, car accident victims have four years to file a claim before the statute of limitations runs out. If you have been injured in an auto accident, read our car accident page to learn about contributory negligence, recoverable damages, and how our team can help you.
- Motorcycles are a fun and convenient way to get around, however, all too often drivers do not look out for motorcyclists on the road. Our team is experienced in handling motorcycle accident cases and is ready to fight on your behalf. Learn more today!
- When we place our loved ones into the care of a nursing home we expect them to be in good hands when this doesn’t happen, Burnett Wilson Law is standing by to fight for justice on behalf of you and your family. If you suspect your loved one is a victim of abuse, read our nursing home abuse page and contact us today for a free consultation.
- Landowners are responsible for ensuring their premises is safe for visitors, if they fail to do this, they can be held responsible for resulting damages. Learn more about how we can help you if you or a loved one have been injured in a slip and fall, swimming pool accident or any other injury caused by landowner negligence.
- When we buy a product, we expect it to be safe, all too often however companies take shortcuts to protect their bottom line, putting their consumers in harm’s way. Learn our approach to product liability claims and how we can help you today.
- Because of their size and weight, trucks are capable of causing far more injury and damage than an average car accident. Our team of attorneys is skilled in conducting thorough investigations following a truck accident. Learn more about how our team can help you today.
- While there are laws in place to protect bicyclists on the road, motorists all too often ignore these laws. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, learn more about bicycle law and how our team of attorneys can help you today.
- While pedestrians have the right of way on a street, motorists don’t always look out for them. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, learn more about your rights and options on our pedestrian accident page today.
- A spinal cord injury is one of the worst injuries a person can suffer. These injuries are catastrophic in nature and often lead to permanent disabilities. If you have been injured don’t hesitate to learn more about how we can help you today.
- Losing a loved one is never easy, losing a loved one at the hands of someone’s negligence can be devastating. If you have lost a loved one, learn more about your options and wrongful death law on our page. Our firm is ready to fight for you and your family!
- Injured on the job? You may be eligible to recover workers’ compensation! If you have a case contact us today, our firm is experienced in representing workers’ and fighting for the compensation they deserve, so they can focus on recovering.
These types of accidents can result in harm ranging from broken bones, lacerations and crush injuries to catastrophic burn injuries, head and brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. In many cases, these injuries require significant medical attention and can impact the remainder of a person’s life!
What is the Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims in Nebraska?
If you've been injured in an accident in Nebraska, you must file an injury claim within the appropriate time frame or your case may not be heard. The statute of limitations for general personal injury claims is four years. However, Nebraska has different time limits for specific types of personal injury cases.
Here is a breakdown of some of the most common case types:
- Motor vehicle accidents - 4 years
- Dog bites - 4 years
- Work-related injuries/workers' comp - 2 years
- Wrongful death - 2 years
- Medical malpractice - 2 years from date of injury, 1 year from date of discovery
While these statutes of limitations are meant to prevent unlawful or cruel lawsuits, they can also make it difficult for victims of accidents to get the justice they deserve. If the statute of limitations for your type of case has expired, it might be impossible for you to ever pursue compensation. That's why it's essential that you contact a skilled personal injury lawyer right away!
What Damages Can I Recover in a Personal Injury Case?
Generally, there are three types of damages you can pursue compensation for:
- Economic - Also called special damages, compensate the injured for financial losses that result from suffering an injury such as the inability to work and medical expenses.
- Non-economic - Compensate for non-financial losses such as pain and suffering and emotional distress. Since non-economic damages compensate for such abstract losses, they are also called general damages.
- Punitive - Punitive damages are different from economic and non-economic in that their main purpose is to punish the negligent party. As such punitive damages are not awarded often
The purpose of each type is to compensate the injury victim for a different aspect of loss associated with sustaining an injury. The state of Nebraska does place a cap on how much damages can be awarded to an induvial in medical malpractice cases.
Don't wait to get help on your case. Call our firm to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today!
Pursue Just & Fair Compensation with Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Omaha
Our Omaha personal injury attorneys’ case experience covers many other situations, including construction site accidents, swimming pool and other recreational accidents, and various types of insurance disputes.
If you have been hurt or tragically lost a family member, we are here to help. We offer a free consultation, in person and where you need us, to discuss your legal rights and options after a serious accident. You will pay no attorney fees unless we successfully obtain compensation through a settlement, judgment or verdict in your favor.
Families We've Helped
"They have a great legal team with the knowledge and experience in many different specialties of law."- Former Client