Andrew J. Wilson joined Burnett Wilson Law as a partner in 2019. He earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Industrial Engineering at Iowa State University in 1987 and his Juris Doctor at the University of Nebraska College of Law in 1991. Andy started out in private practice in Des Moines, Iowa. In 1993, he returned to Omaha to join the Douglas County Public Defender’s office as he had a strong desire to be in the courtroom. Andy served as Senior Staff Attorney and handled serious felony offenses, including drug trafficking, murder, and sexual assault. During his time at the Public Defender’s office, Andy had over twenty jury trials and over five hundred bench trials. Since then, Andy has first-chaired over forty jury trials and seven hundred bench trials.
In 2000, Andy went into private practice and has built a civil litigation practice focusing on personal injury and general litigation, including business disputes, construction litigation, and insurance claims. On personal injury cases, Andy has the unique experience of working with insurance companies for over five years, and his ability to understand the perspective of claims adjusters is a crucial skill that he brings to his clients that many attorneys do not have.
In a 2013 criminal trial, a jury returned a verdict of not guilty in less than fifteen minutes. For that case, Andy was awarded the Jury Trial of the Year award from the Federal Public Defender’s Office. When a trial is the necessary course of action, Andy has the extensive skills and experience necessary to achieve the best outcome for his clients.
When Andy is not spending time with his family, he is helping out our community. He adopted early on in his professional career a commitment to volunteering his time and resources. Andy currently is serving, or has served in the past, in a wide variety of capacities, including:
- Board of Deacons, Countryside Community Church
- Board of Trustees (Chair), Countryside Community Church
- Moderator and Vice Moderator, Countryside Community Church
- Board Member, Omaha Suburban Athletic Association,
- President, Omaha Central Legion Baseball
- Board Member, Youth Emergency Services
- All Nebraska Courts (1991)
- All Iowa Courts (1991)
- U.S. District Court of Nebraska (1991)
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa (1992)
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa (1992)
- Over forty jury trials and six hundred bench trials as primary counsel
- Auto-Owners Insurance Company v. Home Pride Companies, Inc., 268 Neb. 528, 684 N.W. 571 (2004)
- DeWester v. Watkins, 275 Neb. 173, 745 N.W. 2d 330 (2008)
- Nebraska, Iowa and Omaha Bar Associations
- Nebraska Defense Attorneys Association
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Nebraska Criminal Defense Attorneys Association