Marriage Petitions

Marriage Petition Attorneys in Omaha

Welcoming Your Spouse or Fiancé(e) into the Country

If you are a United States citizen but your spouse or fiancé(e) is a foreign citizen, you can help bring them into the country and live here through a relative petition. The spouse process begins with filing a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Fiancés by contrast begin with Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé.

Do you need help figuring out how to file a marriage petition or even if you are eligible to file one? Take the guesswork out of the process by teaming up with Burnett Wilson Law. Our team of Omaha marriage petition lawyers would be happy to review your case and let you know if filing a Form I-130 is the correct decision to bring your family together in the United States.

Call 402-403-4358 or contact us online to learn more.

Changes in Financial & Other Requirements

Most people feel deterred to file a marriage petition simply because it is an immigration process that can be rife with complications when handled incorrectly, not to mention the frequent changes to the process. To get through the application process and everything that follows, you can leave everything up to our attorneys. As your legal representatives, we can act on your behalf, handling the entirety of your case while pursuing your best interests. This is especially true, given the constant flux of changes that occur in the field of immigration law.

In the past 5 years, there have been major changes in:

  • Amount of “vetting” or background checks of immigrant applicants
  • Financial requirements for sponsors including increasing minimum income thresholds and prohibitions against receiving family benefits
  • Processing time increases for all classes of petitions
  • Increased scrutiny of detail minutia on immigration forms for completeness and consistency

With some luck and the help of your immigration attorney from Burnett Wilson Law, the form will be approved, and your family member will be given further instructions from the USCIS. There will likely need to be an appointment to update fingerprints on file. If the background check based on the updated fingerprints is approved, then immigration will conduct an interview to verify the relationship information as well as the immigrant applicant’s background. Approval results in the immigrant obtaining lawful permanent resident status. If you receive a denial letter, then it will be time to speak with your lawyer about appealing the decision, filing again, or considering a different immigration option.

Marriage Petition Filing Fees

Please be aware that filing a marriage petition can cost several hundred dollars each time you file. A key benefit of hiring an immigration lawyer to assist with your marriage petition is that you greatly reduce your chances of filing an erroneous or incomplete form, which could save you from needing to pay multiple times due to filing more than once.

Proud to Assist Immigrants in Nebraska

Our Omaha marriage petition attorneys from Burnett Wilson Law are ready to assist you and your spouse or fiancé(e) with a family petition. The sociopolitical climate in recent years has made knowing your rights as an immigrant more difficult, but we are here to help you through the whole process. We will act not only as legal guides but also as genuine friends who want to help you find a happier tomorrow together.

You can reach out to our firm at your next opportunity by dialing 402-403-4358.

Families We've Helped

"They have a great legal team with the knowledge and experience in many different specialties of law."

- Former Client